Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lost in Laos and Loving it....



Today on my motorcycle I got really lost.
And it was fantastic. I ended having one great moment after another.
It seems like when you truly let go and simply go with the flow that is when the magic happens.
Getting a good bike has proved impossible so I have decided to overland to the various spots I want to get to and get a bike there rather than going the very long distances on the shit Chinese motorcycles they offer here.
I was under various impressions that decent bikes do exist here in Laos but I haven't seen them yet. Maybe in Vientiene.
Either way, today I was on a chinese-made something or other bike and headed off west from Vang Vien where I am staying for a few days.
They also lack decent maps in this part of the world but any map is better than none right? Nope! My map lead me to places I could tell from the locals reactions that I may have been the first westerner ever here and I know they are telling all their friends of this crazy "falang" coming through their village.
As I got deeper and deeper along this dirt track full of pot holes chickens, ducks, pigs, cows, kids and other obstacles I was realizing that everyone I saw was getting friendlier and friendlier. Lots of waves and smiles so I knew I was a novelty here.
Ok. I am lost. Novelty or not.

But what a place. What beautiful people. Awesome views. Perfect weather. I'm OK.
I come across these villagers out in their rice fields separating the rice from the stalk and they wave and invite me to help. Of course I will help. Isn't that what Americans do around the world? So they hand me a shovel and off I go throwing the rice in the air while another guy fans it to get rid of the shaft. Great fun. We all laughed. I got some work done. Everyone was happy.
Off I go and come across one of the cutest little girls I have ever seen. I ask to take her picture. She shakes her head no. I bow, give a little prayer sign "please" she agrees and here is a winning picture that occurred minutes after the rice work.
In the zone.......
Since the day was getting later by now and having no clue where I am I ask a local for the direction back to Vang Vien. He points that way. I go that way and sure enough I eventually make it back.
A perfect day. Completely lost and just where I needed to be.

6 comments:

Karin said...

Hey Jeff, I truly enjoy reading about your adventures - you're a fantastic writer and I love the way you look at life - it's the next best thing to being there. I am also glad you're an Ambasador of America or that people there are finding out about Americans by meeting you - Obama and you - we must be doing something right. No more swirving for snakes or anything else in the road - stay up-right on your bike. I'm glad you're trying some weird food and your cooking class sounded amazing - Bill and I would love to be turned on to the new dishes you learned to prepare. Thanks for sharing your travels and for being so expressive with how it's making you feel. You may win best travel blog ever! Safe travels to you my friend, KC

SamanthaShakti said...

Yes!
- Bradley

Forbes said...

Can't find a Harley or Beemer in Laos? How uncivilized. You would think they would at least have a Suzuki or Honda.

It sounds more like a place for a Quad.

I sure wish I could take off for an adventure like this one. We may do an audition Firday Night (there is an open mike at The Vanilla Bean in CT. Pretty Kool place.

http://www.thevanillabeancafe.com/
No gigs the Flea in Laos?

Chas Moore said...

Jefe-
First off a belated Happy Birthday. I just returned home from a week on the East Coast for Thanksgiving, and was lost in Boston yesterday---probably not quite the same, the locals did not wave and smile at me.
I'm encouraged that you seem to be traveling inwardly as you travel in the physical realm. With daily praying and listening I have discovered lots of new things this last year, and it sounds like you are too. I'd love to hear more about the culinary side of your adventures.
peace and love,
Chas

Karin said...

Oh yeah, Happy Belated Birthday from us too! What a fabulous place and fabulous way to celebrate yourself - we toast you here too!

miguel said...

Jeffre
Did you find your way out of the jungle, or, do I have to come rescue your ass??? Your last adventure sounded,once again, amazing....I know I am being entirely redundant when I say..WOW... I hereby bestow you with an honorary masters degree in anthropology....three more weeks and you'll be eligable for a doctorate!!!
Any idea of when you are returning?? Are you returning ,or, am I going to have to resue you from a monastary with a deprogrammer?? Take care, my brother!!! Hopefully, see you soon/Miguel