Monday, December 15, 2008

The Long Road Home.....


Yesterday as I left my bungalow on Don Det Island I took my first steps towards the 3 day journey back to California.
I got up around dawn walked to a small boat that took me to the mainland to a Tuk Tuk that took me to a bus that drove me to Pakse, Laos to catch a plane the next day to Bangkok where I will catch another plane the following day for the 22 hour flight home. I had already turned my bike back in to the rental agency as I did not need it on the island as there are no roads on the island.
Leaving Laos is not an easy proposition. The beauty of the land, the smiles of the people, the laid-back atmosphere that pervades their culture, the incredible tribal influences everywhere, the great food, the smell of woodsmoke, the sounds of roosters crowing, the greetings of "sabai dee" from everyone you pass, the little old ladies with their beetle-nut stained teeth and child-like grins, the children always playing so well with one another,the simple way of life in the many ways seems so much fuller than all of our "developed" ways, the friendliness of everyone....

Laos was a dream of mine that came true beyond what I could have expected.
I have seen things that I never imagined existed and learned things that I wish were not true (America's secret war). I still have more to explore in this country. Its way bigger than it looks on the maps and getting around is a lot harder than I thought it would be. But just to be here is a constant revelation- a reminder about slowing down, taking the time to talk to your neighbors, to hug and play with your kids, to eat good food everyday, to enjoy just being............

Feeling blissed and blessed.

Thanks for following my blog and for your comments and emails.
They kept me company on those many days and nights alone in this country very far away.
I will have one last post once I get home.
Blessings,
Jefe

2 comments:

Chas Moore said...

Safe travels home. I'm off on Thur for NYC but will be back in Bay Area for many of the pre-New Years music. Have tickets to Thievery Corp and looking for Phil and Bobby. Hope to hear more tales in person.
Steamed milk as you get on the plane helps with the Vata agrivation of flying.

Forbes said...

Jeff,

I liked the shot with the sunset and the brew. I was wondering how the beer was there and if they really drank beer in Laos. Do they have Sushi in Thainland and Laos or would that not be a good idea?

I enjoyed your blog and hope your trip home is a safe a pleasant journey.

I am going out this week to look for some of those buddist charm bells for my Harley.

Don't forget the Fish Taco's if you get a minute.