Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Birthday on the Plain of Jars


Today is my birthday and I got to celebrate it on the Plain of Jars, Phonesavanh, Laos,
The Plain of Jars is this amazing 2-3000 year old archeological site in North eastern Laos. It is a place I have wanted to get to for many years.
I am feeling so blessed today to be here.
The journey here was certainly not easy. The roads are a lot worse than I thought they would be in this part of Laos.
But aside from too many twists and turns, an aching back, sore butt, wind-whipped skin, I feel great to be alive and completing one more turn around the sun.

Reflecting today, I realise I have made some progress in the clarity that I seek in myself as a person, father, friend, son, boss, brother and world citizen.
Being solo on this trip- without any of my comforts of home- friends, family, cat, house- I get to really check in with Jeff. I realized that, heh, I like me.I am alright. I am a good person who really gives a shit about things. I am a great ambassador for us Americans out in the world. Sure, I make my share of mistakes and I am certainly one who benefit from a bit of humility but overall I think my contribution to this planet and the people that surround me is really positive.
I feel so blessed with what the gods and goddesses have offered me in this life. A life so full of abundance.
I am so grateful for the amazing friends and family I have in my life.
I hope to continue on the journey of life- making those who touch me that I, too, touch in a special way.
I really want to focus my life on making the world a better place. Being here in such an undeveloped country really makes you understand what we have and what others don't have.
Overall, I feel good about where I am and where I am going in my life and those that surround me are the juice that makes me who I am.
I truly give thanks for the gifts that I have and if you are reading this right now you are one of my greatest gifts.
Love to all,
Sabai dee
Jeff

Ok off to drink some lau lau with some Aussie friends.

11 comments:

Bill F. said...

Happy Birthday Bro! Sounds like you're having a great trippe. It's fun to read of your adventures. Oh, btw, you are a good person. you didn't have to travel around the world to find that out! you could have just asked. But there's much more fun in learning it the way are you. But you knew that.

Peace

Berger said...

YO BRO!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY B-DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother from another mother! I am sooo Glad that you are having such a great time. You couldn't be in a better place on your B-day. laos is such a beautiful country. I never made it to the plain of jars, one day I will return to laos and get there too. Reading about your journey is making the travel bug in me start to get a bit jumpy. It's a good thing that Laurie and I have decided to start a wholesale coffee distribution and micro roaster business. part of what we will do is travel to independent Coffee farm and buy fair / direct trade green coffee beans and import then back to the states where we will roast and sell the beans. More on that when you get home!!!!

Just wanted you to know we spent thanksgiving with Gina. It was real nice to spend some time with her. She seems to be doing real well. Maybe next year you'll be with us too.

Anyhow Happy Birthday on this special day that you were brought into this world, for all to enjoy.

Your Brother from another Mother.

Berger

Gina Gibbons said...

I almost thought that was Anthony Bourdain for a second.
Ok, not really.
I can't wait to hear about the Plain of Jars. It looks so awesome. What a cool place to spend your birthday.

I made some brownies in your honor today, but I don't think they will be around by the time you get back. I'll just have to share them with Lucy. Love you Pops!

Dara said...

Birthday wishes to you, my brother! I have been reading along and am so glad you are blessed with such positive insights on your journey. Laos changed me too, the slowness and the quiet in which to listen, and I always dreamed I'd go back someday, and though it's def. not on my agenda anytime soon, I am loving experiencing it again through you. My mouth is watering for some Lao-style BBQ chicken (sugar and salt), but not the lao-lao! I had to figure out a polite way to defer many shots of that stuff at a wedding, not a polite or easy thing to do!

Look forward to more reading (and if I'm lucky, maybe some cooking by Jeff when you return ;)

Sending love,
Dara

hobbs said...

happy birthday, old one!
i'm a little envious. it would be awfully nice to be there with you.
thanks for blogging, and keep playing.
love you
hobbs

mosesk said...

Feliz cumpleanos, hermano Je Flea.
Keep your friends close and your money and passport as well.
I just got ripped off while I was sleeping, but my mood is still high as a kite.
And you are a good person, but I have missed hearing from you for at least 10 years.
I got my guitar here and I gig/practice a lot.
Maybe one day we'll put that Police clone band together

miguel said...

Jeffre
WOW.....I remember cryptic comments on the nightly news when I was a kid talking about the "plain of jars" always wondered what the hell that they were talking about. Now , thanks to you, I know.
thanks for your e-mail and know that I feel exactly the same way. I may have already responded to your latest posting but I'm never really sure.
You do know, I'm sure, that the Thai airport has been seized by "rebels", demanding the overthrow of the government. DOn't know if you are even coming back via Thailand and I'm sure you already know but, thought you'd forgive my redundancy just in case you didn't. Stay safe,my brother. Happy Belated B-Day. Carry on with passion/Miguel

Forbes said...

Jeff,

What do the locals say about the origin of the jars? They look like something from the same era as the Druids and Easter Island.

I read they were carved from rock not native to Laos.
Strange stuff.

http://www.forbestartan.com/BurialMounds.htm

These are some druid burial mounds and monoliths near culloden Scotland more strange stuff.

Happy birthday

Anonymous said...

Chef,
Happy bday Bro!!!
USC 38 Notre Dame 3
Went to the game with Deb, my bros Larry and Bubba.
ND made 1 first down and it took them until late in the 3rd Q to do it. DEFENSE dominated.
Going to UCLAos game this next weekend at the Rose Bowl.
Jack's Bacon

David D-Rod said...

Happy B-Day Jeffe! Looking forward to more of your adventures! Big Hugs, D

SamanthaShakti said...

Happy B-day Bro!
Your adventure is inspiring as is your example in life. Keep on rolling! Celebrated Thanksgiving with Gina and friends, and definitely thought of you. And so, we give thanks to you being born into this world and walking your path.
- Bradley
PS - wish you could have tried the Turkey this year! Gina said it was the best ever!